Friday 5 April 2013

It's Kind of a Funny Story

Why do Americans pronounce Craig as Creg? Weird. A bit like me. Anyway.


It actually is kind of a funny story...

'It's Kind of a Funny Story'.

I think I completely missed this film when it came out as I've only just recently heard of it. Well that and I don't think I would have paid much attention to the trailer when it was shown; it doesn't really look all that action-packed or gripping. But I have heard (or reheard) of it now, and I've watched it! Let me start from the beginning.

I watched 'Silver Linings Playbook' a little while back, reasons being slightly shallow. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are hotties and Robert De Niro is a legend. That was enough to get me to watch the film, and I loved it. Really smart, funny, and a little bit strange, something that I've realised I find more and more interesting as days go by.

I don't remember how I stumbled on 'It's Kind of a Funny Story', but it seems to have grabbed my attention in a similar way to how 'Silver Linings Playbook' did. I wouldn't say it was for the cast of Zach Galifianakis (Bobby), Keir Gilchrist (Craig), or Emma Roberts (Noelle), but I think they're all pretty excellent choices for their respective roles.

No, it was for the slightly weird and wonderful real world that sometimes gets overlooked. I've been called "strange" a few times (this week alone!), but I guess that's because I embrace eccentricities from others and this shows through my character. This film takes a slightly dark topic: that of suicide, depression and of mental health, and pairs these subjects with everyday tasks that can get you down, a burgeoning romance and stories of friendships. This, all while maintaining a feel-good vibe throughout and somehow leaving you feeling a slightly emotionally drained.

I wouldn't like to say everybody can relate to the characters in the film but everybody will have had a moment of anxiety, stress or a conflict of interests.

Craig is a 16 year-old boy who checks into a hospital, and the story follows his interaction with the patients he shares halls and facilities with, and his family and friends on the outside. Over the course of 5 days he is helped to improve his outlook on life, and at the same time helps those around him to do the same.

"He not busy being born is busy dying" - Bob Dylan

The journey is well worth a watch as you feel an attachment to all the characters on-screen; there are flashbacks for people that do not even have a major role in the film, but it helps to create a greater context as to why they act a certain way towards the leads. It's funny how such a small story can actually have such a meaningful impact. 

The title sums it up pretty well to be honest: 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' is a kind, funny story.

Go watch this film! Embrace quirkiness! And then go and watch 'Silver Linings Playbook' as well.

:-)

Elky

No comments:

Post a Comment